The Centre is also host to a unique set of art & antique dealer archives, to be held at the Brotherton Library Special Collections.
We gratefully acknowledge the very generous support of Leeds Art Fund in the development of conservation and cataloguing projects for the Antique Dealer Archives.
The archives will be the focus for a series of inter-related cross-faculty research projects at Leeds and will also accessible to national and international scholars, researchers and students. The uniqueness of the archives donated to Leeds are that they provide a concentration of ‘antique dealer’ archive material in one place and contain some of the most complete ‘antique dealer’ archives in the public domain. The Centre is also a focus for archives related to the broader structures of the art market, and art dealers and, over time, we hope to build a critical mass of art market archival material, available for current and future scholars and researchers interested in the history of the Art Market.
Through the exceptional generosity of a number of antique dealers and patrons who have donated, or are donating, their business archives to the Centre we have at present a number of highly significant dealer archives, including:
Phillips of Hitchin (archive dating 1882-2005)
Phillips of Hitchin traded from Manor House, Hitchin from 1882. Jerome Phillips (3rd generation of dealers) retired in January 2015 and very generously donated the complete archive to the University of Leeds. Phillips was one of the most important dealers in the UK, and sold many thousands of objects, many to major national museums in the UK, Europe and the USA. Phillips also was instrumental in the development of the collections of important collectors of Decorative Art such as those of Judge Untermyer in the USA. The archive consists of a comprehensive run of stock books and sales ledgers, letter archives, and photograph archives. We are pleased to announce that our funding application to the National Manuscripts Conservation Trust for conservation of this archive was successful.
Roger Warner (archive dating 1936-1985)
Roger Warner was one of the most well-known dealer personalities of the recent era; a short autobiography ‘Memoirs of a 20th Century Antique Dealer’ was published after his death in 2003, and an essay by John Cornforth on Roger Warner was published in Country Life in 1992. Roger sold objects to many major museums in the UK and USA, as well as organisations such as the National Trust; he also sold and donated a large amount of objects to Temple Newsam House, including extensive collections of historic textiles. The Warner archive is the most complete archive known, with not just an extraordinarily detailed series of business material (stock books, sales ledgers etc) but also extensive notes books and dairies; as well as more material for his autobiography and audio recordings etc. The archive has been very generously donated to the University of Leeds by Roger Warner’s family, Sue Ashton, Hugo Ashton and Deborah Warner.
H.M. Lee & Sons, and R.A. Lee (archives dating 1920-1995)
Henry Morton Lee & Sons were established just after World War I, in premises in Kingston-upon-Thames. They were one of the leading firms of antique dealers in the period; the business was continued by Ronald A. Lee, who joined his father in 1931, before setting up his own business in 1949. Ronald Lee’s daughter, Georgina Gough, generously donated the Lee archive to the University of Leeds. The archive consists of stock books, scrap albums of newspaper cuttings, a photographic archive and a complete run of dealer stock cards from the late 1920s to the 1990s. Ronald Lee sold a wide range of antiques, to many of the world’s most important museums and collectors.
M.Turpin (archive dating c.1970-2000)
Maurice ‘Dick’ Turpin (1928-2005) was a leading antique furniture dealer, based in London. ‘Dick’ Turpin established his business in the early 1950s, trading from Old Brompton Road; he was later joined in business by Colin Hart, the grandson of Moss Harris, of the world famous dealers M. Harris & Sons. The archive was initially donated to Bonhams by Jackie Mann, the partner of ‘Dick’ Turpin, before being generously donated to the Brotherton Library Special Collections in 2017. The archive does not contain any stock books or business records and mainly consists of an extensive photographic archive of objects from stock, as well as a fascinating selection of object restoration records. The remaining collection and stock of M. Turpin was sold at Christie’s in March 2006.
Charles Lumb & Sons (archive dating 1930-2000)
Charles Lumb & Sons were leading antique furniture dealers, trading in Harrogate since the 1930s. Tony Lumb (3rd generation dealer) recently semi-retired from business and has very generously promised the business archive to the University of Leeds. The archive consists of stock books and an extensive photographic archive. Lumb’s were very high profile antique furniture dealers, especially well known in the provinces.